Our smile is one of the first things people notice about us and we want to make sure it’s a good one. It's important to take care of our teeth and gums and see a dentist regularly. sometimes, despite our best efforts, a tooth may become damaged or decayed. When this happens, a dental crown can be used to restore the tooth's function and appearance. In this article, we will discuss the different types of dental crowns, the procedure for getting one, how to care for a crown, and more.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped "cap" that is placed over a tooth to cover the tooth and restore its shape and size. A dental crown may be needed when a large cavity threatens the ongoing health of a tooth. It is also used to support a tooth with a large filling when there is not enough tooth remaining. In addition, dental crowns are used to attach bridges, cover implants, and provide cosmetic enhancements.
Who Can Perform The Procedure?
Only a qualified dentist can determine if you need a dental crown. During a regular check-up, your dentist will examine your teeth and gums, looking for any signs of tooth decay or damage. If they find a problem, they may recommend a crown to restore the tooth.
Sloan Creek Dental in Texas is one example of a great place to get a dental crown. The dentists and staff at Sloan Creek Dental are highly trained and experienced in all types of dental procedures, including crowns.
What Are The Different Types Of Dental Crowns?
There are different types of dental crowns, which are made from different materials. The type of crown that is right for you will be based on the location of the tooth, your bite, and how much tooth structure is remaining. The different types of dental crowns include:
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns: These crowns are made of metal with a porcelain coating. They are strong and durable, but the metal can show through the porcelain, making them less esthetically pleasing.
- Ceramic crowns: These crowns are made entirely of ceramic, making them more esthetically pleasing. They are not as strong as porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns, so they are not recommended for areas of the mouth that experience a lot of biting force, such as the back teeth.
- Gold alloy crowns: These crowns are made of gold or a gold alloy. They are strong and durable, but they are also the most expensive option.
- Stainless steel crowns: These crowns are made of stainless steel and are typically used for children's primary teeth or as a temporary measure for an adult tooth.
These are just a few of the different types of dental crowns available. Your dentist will help you choose the right type of crown for your needs.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Crowns?
There are many benefits of dental crowns, which include:
- Restore a damaged or decayed tooth - When a tooth is damaged or decayed, a dental crown can be used to restore the tooth's function and appearance.
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking - By covering the tooth with a dental crown, it can help to protect the tooth from further damage.
- Attach a bridge - Dental crowns can be used to attach a bridge, which can replace one or more missing teeth.
- Cover an implant - A dental crown can be used to cover a dental implant, which is an artificial tooth root that is used to support a replacement tooth.
- Improve the appearance of a tooth - Dental crowns can be used to improve the appearance of a discolored or misshapen tooth.
The Procedure For Getting A Dental Crown
The procedure for getting a dental crown usually takes two visits to the dentist. During the first visit, your tooth will be prepared for the crown and an impression will be made. This impression will be used to make the permanent dental crown. A temporary crown may be placed at this time.
During the second visit, the temporary crown will be removed and the permanent crown will be checked for fit. If everything looks good, the crown will be cemented in place.
How To Care For A Dental Crown
It is important to take good care of your dental crown to prolong its life. Here are some tips on how to care for a dental crown:
- Brush twice a day and floss once a day - This will help to remove plaque and bacteria from around the crown.
- Avoid chewing hard foods - Chewing hard foods can put too much force on the crown and cause it to become loose.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks - Sugar and acid can contribute to tooth decay, which can weaken the structure of the tooth and eventually lead to a need for a new crown.
- See your dentist regularly - You should see your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. This will help to keep your mouth healthy and catch any problems early on.
Dental crowns are a great way to restore a damaged or decayed tooth. With proper care, they can last for many years. Talk to your dentist if you think you may need a dental crown.
Factors To Consider When Getting Dental Crowns
There are a few factors to consider when getting dental crowns. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- The type of crown - The type of crown you choose will depend on your needs and preferences.
- The cost - Dental crowns can be costly, so be sure to factor that into your decision.
- The procedure - The procedure for getting a dental crown is usually quick and relatively painless.
However, it does require two visits to the dentist.
Your dentist will be able to help you choose the right type of dental crown for your needs. Be sure to ask about the cost and the procedure before making your final decision.
What To Expect After Getting Dental Crowns
After getting dental crowns, you can expect:
- To feel some sensitivity - This is normal and should go away after a few days.
- To have some discomfort - You may have some discomfort after the procedure, but this can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication.
- To see some swelling - This is also normal and should go down after a few days.
- To have some bruising - You may have some bruising around the gums, but this will usually dissipate within a week.
If you experience any pain or discomfort that lasts longer than a few days, be sure to contact your dentist. They will be able to help you find relief. Make sure to take care of your dental crowns and see your dentist regularly to keep your smile looking its best.
Where To Find A Good Dentist In Texas?
Many dentists in Texas can help you with your dental needs. To find a Dentist near you, search online or ask your doctor for a recommendation. Once you've found a few dentists, be sure to read online reviews to see what other patients have to say about their experience. This will help you narrow down your choices and find the right dentist for you.
When choosing a dentist, it's important to consider your needs and preferences. Be sure to ask about the cost of dental services and the type of insurance they accept. You should also ask about their experience and training. This will help you choose a dentist who is best suited to meet your needs.
Contact A Licensed Dentist In Texas Today
The dental crowns by Sloan Creek Dental in Texas offer different types of crowns to choose from. They also offer payment plans that can make dental procedures more affordable.
Sloan Creek Dental has a team of experienced and certified dentists who can help you with all your dental needs. They offer a wide range of services, including teeth whitening, veneers, implants, and more.
If you're looking for a dentist in Texas, contact Sloan Creek Dental today to schedule an appointment. They will be happy to answer any questions you have and help you choose the right dental procedure for your needs.